Cut Hill on the Victor Harbor road is something special. It was contracted by the Central Roads Board in 1868 to one Jabez Grimble, who had already built culverts and bridges in the district, to make the road safe for travellers.
The metre-high dry-stone parapet is probably all that most travellers see, although there is a parking area with a commemorative plaque that few make time to study. Less obvious is the several metre-high abutment sitting on an impossibly steep slope below. Not only is this stone masonry of the highest standard, it is also first-class civil engineering. The stone, a grey-green meta-siltstone, was quarried on-site and this wonderful wall is rightfully on the National Heritage Register as an Indicative Place.
See Historic sites and landscapes, Reports of the Hills Face Zone Cultural Heritage Project, Department of Archaeology, Flinders University.
Morialta Barns, Norton Summit, in the Adelaide Hills is listed on the SA State Heritage Register – see here. The Barns were built by John Baker, politician, grazier and horse breeder in the 1840s. They consist of a complex of stone buildings including two and three storey barns, a well house, bake house, coach house, dairy, stables, with a stone wall around the barns.